HOW MUCH IS A WHEEL ALIGNMENT?
The wheels on a vehicle should be parallel with one another and perpendicular to the road. However, your wheels can fall out of alignment over time. This can happen for a variety of reasons. The suspension may shift, moving the wheels out of alignment. A single incident, like hitting a pothole hard or bumping into a curb can also affect alignment.
Simply using a vehicle can cause the wheels to go out of alignment. When this happens depends on things like the condition of the roads you drive on, the way you drive your car and the overall condition of your vehicle in general. The cost of a wheel alignment can range from $50 to $150 depending on the size and type of vehicle you have.
WHEN TO GET A WHEEL ALIGNMENT
You should get your wheel alignment checked every 10,000 km or every six months. This can happen simply as a part of regular servicing. Having your alignment checked regularly by a qualified mechanic can prevent bigger problems. Other signs that you may need a wheel alignment include:
- The wheels on your car wearing down faster than they should
- The wheels on your car wearing evenly
- Your car is constantly pulling to either the left or the right when you’re driving it
- The handling of your car feels loose
- Your steering wheel has to be crooked in order for you to keep driving straight
- Your car makes a lot of noise when you’re steering it
- You notice a squealing noise from your wheels
If you have a minor car accident, you should have the alignment of your wheels checked as soon as possible.